Stonnall History Group
The village's annual festival, known as Stonnall Wake, took place on the first Sunday after St Peter's Day (June 29). It is believed that the festival ceased after the outbreak of the Second World War. This photo shows the participants gathering outside the Royal Oak, which was the usual assembly point.
This is a sight for sore eyes for those of us who have long memories. It is, of course, the long lost village pond that used to be opposite the Manor House on Main Street. This quite unique photo was shared by Kath Judson. Thanks Kath for helping us preserve a memory that had almost disappeared.
This postcard was sent from somebody called Bott in Canada to George Leadbetter of Leigh Cottage, Stonnall in 1895. The subject seems to be the conclusion of a property deal. More will be known when the card has been fully transcribed.
The Botts are known to have been blacksmiths in Upper and Lower Stonnall and to have occupied the smithy and smith's house on Main Street. It is possible that the sale involved that property.
This is an extract from the 1901 Census for Stonnall. It relates to a property listed as 'Farm near church', which one assumes is a reference to Thornes Hall Farm, opposite the Old Vicarage. The extract lists five members of the Lee family, Benjamin and Eliza (parents), with two daughters Eliza and Lucy and one son Albert. A servant, Mary Birch, is also listed.
Albert was born in 1889 and with information known about the names of his sisters, Pamela Ramsell has been able to confirm that this Albert was her grandfather.
Stonnall schoolkids at a fete in about 1930. Seated in the centre: Dora Brown, 11, who had been selected as the Fairy Queen. The location is unknown, but it is likely to have been Lynn House, where it is known that fetes of this type were once held regularly.
Dora Brown (1918-2006) was related to the local land-owning family of the same name and, at the time, lived in a house, now demolished, on Chester Road near the Plough and Harrow.
These are the full-length photos of Rev and Mrs Downes. He is wearing his academic Bachelor of Arts gown rather than any church vestments, perhaps in keeping with Stonnall's Low Church tradition. The photos appear to have been taken in a studio.
This is the so-called 'Busby cottage' that used to be in Wall Heath Lane until it was demolished some time in the 60s or 70s. This photo appears to have been taken at around the turn of the 19th/20th century.
This is a photograph of the second wife of Rev James Downes, Maria Parsons Downes. This was also shared by Rosemary Graves.