Friends of Shenstone Tower
This is to tell you of an exciting project we are undertaking here in Shenstone.
Shenstone’s old, medieval church tower needs significant repair to ensure its survival. Its roof has holes in it and a significant part of the masonry needs repair. As it is a Grade 2* Listed building at risk, Historic England have pledged £250,000 if we meet their criteria; and we need to raise a further £60, 000 of match funding. We are applying to the National Lottery Heritage Fund, and they require a minimum of 6 letters of support from community groups.
As you know, Shenstone had a Saxon Church which was referred to in the Domesday Book, and a medieval church was built on its Saxon foundations. In Victorian times, the old church was too small for the parish’s congregation and in 1853 our present church was built. The old church tower was kept as a bell tower and it stands today. The old tower represents an opportunity for us to understand and be involved in the heritage of our village.
We have formed an organization called the Friends of Shenstone Tower (FoST), and our plans are to:-
- Restore the tower (re-build and refurbish)
- Prepare and place it into community use by:-
- Fitting out the ground floor for small group visits and events
- Installing stairs which will lead to a roof viewing platform
- Installing information boards (re - our history - see the Shenstone Heritage Trail)
- Printing an information leaflet (re- Tower’s History)
- Training volunteers to host the visiting community groups
- Installing a path suitable for disabled access to the Tower
We hope you agree that this is a worthy project and we would welcome your support going forward. We are hoping that you can help fulfil the criteria of our Heritage Fund application process. In particular we would be grateful if you would:-
- Register as a Friend of Shenstone Tower – this is a simple process and there is no cost.
- Provide feedback on the proposal. We would welcome any advice on what we could do that might encourage grant funders to accept our bid.
One of the key requirements of our bid is the submission of letters of support for our plans as part of the application. Any such letter needs to set out that organisations have been consulted, that they support our plan and how they could use this initiative. We would welcome any help you could give us for our application.
If you would be willing to produce a letter of support, we would be happy to meet with you to show you our plans which would give you the opportunity to be fully consulted.
Friends of Shenstone Tower
25c Main Street
If you would be willing to produce a letter of support, we would be happy to meet with you to show you our plans which would give you the opportunity to be fully consulted.The letter should be sent to:-
You can also register as a Friend of Shenstone Tower at this address.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you.
Design, image editing and programming are the work of Julian Ward-Davies BA Hons PGCert.
If you have any information, suggestions and/or photographs relating to the subject matter, no matter how trivial, please contact the editor by one of the methods shown below.
Please revisit for additions, amendments and revisions.